Challenger of the utmost kind...

Sometimes out there in blogland you stumble across something that really speaks to you. It's timely and moving, beautiful and thought provoking- it might be just what you need in that moment.


 This is what happened when I came across the beautiful blog of Dottie Angel.
Apart from being gorgeous and full of wonderful things (including the photos above) Dottie Angel has started a movement of sorts, a challenge of the utmost kind.


I love a challenge. I thrive on challenge! I thought to myself... I'm in! So for 365 days starting today I swear I will only buy secondhand or handmade for my wardrobe and for my home. Sounds fairly easy right? I mean most of the stuff I purchase already fits into those categories. Well we better step it up a notch...

Included in my personal challenge will be my wedding!
Well our wedding... we vow that everything from this moment on for our wedding will be either second-hand or handmade. EVERYTHING. Invites, decor, dress, flowers, cups, plates, saucers... everything.
It's going to be a super challenge of the utmost kind and I'm going to blog about the adventure right here.

Isn't he a wonderful man he is to agree to this challenge.. thank you Adam.

Why would I want to do this?
Well firstly, weddings are an environmental disaster. Check it..
 -The average wedding produces 63 tons of CO2 and 400-600 pounds of trash. With 2.5 million weddings a year in the United States alone, the impact is huge. I want no part in that!

Secondly, cost:
-The average wedding costs almost $40,000 and weddings are a $60+ billion industry. 
Apart from that seeming to me like a hideous waste..
Adam and I are saving to buy a small acreage here in the pretty country town of Daylesford. On that land we will build the dream house we are designing (made from strawbale) and we will grow veges and milk goats be sustainable and self sufficient. (sigh...) 

$40,000 would buy a lot of strawbales! 

But most of all, I want to get creative. I love that instead of popping out to buy something instantly, every detail will require thought, creativity, inspiration and effort. The outcome has to be something amazing. It will also require us to involve our wonderful friends and family, use their skills and have them feel part of the process and share in the joy of what we create.

So I do hope you will join me on this adventure!

Comments

  1. What a wonderful, ambitious plan you have here. I admire you very much for making such a commitment - any normal year, dottie angel's idea is a challenge, but a year with a wedding??!! You go girl! (And enjoy every second of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiration! I just found your blog thru Kootoyoo's MCS and I have to say what a fantastic idea and what a challenge!! Good on you and good on your wonderful man for joining in. Good luck and I look forward to all your lovely posts and sharing your wedding preparations. For most of us our weddings are such a rush of running around and preparation that we seem to loose sight of the big picture...well done for finding a way to slow down the whole crazy process and turn it into what I am sure will be a lot of wonderful memories for you all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! What an amazing idea and challenge (found you blog through Flea Market Finds), I am looking forward to following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!
    I found you on Dottie Angel, and I look forward to watching your progress!
    Congratulations!!!
    xo
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, and you speak to me just like the challenge speaks to you!!! I will be making my own wedding dress, bridesmaids dresses x2 and trousers and waist coats for my boys x2..... I am working on the better half though..... think he'd rather buy but I want him in linen!!!! good luck and i will be watching you closely!! I am inspired!! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and ideas and comments are marvelous! Thank you.

Popular Posts