The Imagine Lovely Studio Tour

























Its been three years between posts. True. Three years! Geez that time has seriously flown. I've been so busy learning and making and trying to balance my passion and excitement about ceramics with my family and my home commitments... I just didn't have time to write! Now my youngest child bless his beautiful heart has started school and I am beginning to enjoy a bit more spaciousness in my work life.

And I'm looking forward to doing more writing and journaling of my process. So I thought I would start with this series of beautiful photos shot by the lovely Ali of Smith & Archer. Ali came to shoot me working in my home studio which was actually the 'guest mudroom' of our strawbale home. After exactly none of our friends used the proposed guest mudroom (they all came around the side and walked straight in the glass sliding door) it didn't take me long to take over this little cosy space. It has a beautiful view of the sky which is extremely important to me (a large chunk of my work day is spent staring at the sky) and its close to the action in the house which gives me a lot of freedom to work whilst multi-tasking home and family jobs. 

I love the way family and my home has influenced my work. For instance I rarely throw as I don't often have the time to spend a full day at the wheel. By the time you get set up, throw enough pots to make it worth it and then clean up (and I am a messy thrower) you really need a full day, something as rare as hens teeth in my world. So I've built my practice around hand forming. This allows me to do as much or as little as I need in a session and come back to do touch ups in the middle of cooking dinner, or after reading books with my kids. The kitchen table is often covered with projects in various stages of completion and the kids love getting involved. the real beauty of this is the end product which i think is a true reflection of me, my life and my personal taste- everything is wonky, everything is one off and everything is obviously and unapologetically handmade!





Comments

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and ideas and comments are marvelous! Thank you.

Popular Posts