Wedding Playlist...


So yay, We've found a band! They fit all our criteria (talented, local, country, love weddings, love kids, and will play what I want them to play...) and they are just lovely to boot. Hooray!

This has got me thinking about music. I know that for the 'party' part of the wedding I want a rockin country barn dance, but what about the rest of the wedding? What music is so special to us that we have to play it? What do you play as a wedding march? Your first dance? The garter fetch? The bouquet toss? Oh so much to think about!

Which led me to this most excellent place, Hi Fi Weddings, where you can see real life wedding playlists and get yourself some inspiration. There are so many eclectic and interesting playlists on there, you can't help but get excited! 

I've worked out a few songs that I absolutely have to have played at some stage...

Cliquot- Beirut
Rich Woman- Alison Kraus & Robert Plant
White Winter Hymnal- Fleet Foxes
Big Rock Candy Mountain- Harry McClintock
Do you love me now- The Breeders
St Peters Day Festival- Ra Ra Riot
Open Up Your Heart- The Rapture
Jewels & Gold- Angus & Julia Stone
No Rain- Blind Melon
Brown Eyed Handsome Man- Johnny Cash
Hope There's Someone- Antony & the Johnsons
In The Sweet By & By
My Love- The Bird & The Bee
Music Is My Hot Sex- Cansei De Sexy
Luna De Margarita- Devendra Banhart
Think I'm In Love- Beck
Lighthouse- The Waifs
I am a Man of Constant Sorrow- Soggy Bottom Boys


That's a pretty good start! What about you? What are (or were) your must have songs? I'd love to hear them!


Comments

  1. We had:
    Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space - Spiritualized (processional)
    Heroes... - David Bowie (signing the register)
    Mr Blue Sky - ELO (recessional)
    I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - The Supremes & The Temptations (first dance)

    And throughout the evening:
    Digital Love - Daft Punk
    I Love You (Listen To This) - Dexys Midnight Runners
    Do You Realize? - Flaming Lips (apparently one of the most popular indie songs at weddings)
    You're My Best Friend - Queen
    Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads (so we could both sing "This is not my beautiful wife!")
    I Saw The Light - Todd Rundgren

    I have also just discovered that during my last iTunes update all my playlists, including our wedding playlist, have been DELETED. They'd better still be hanging around somewhere. >:-(

    Our wedding favours were burned CDs with a selection of music from the day, still my fave mix CD ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing things a little different than pretty much every other bride, and we're not dancing. (I can't make people sit through the "first dance", since I always thought it was so lame!) There will probably be background music to deal with, but there's really only two pieces of music I have to worry about, my walk down the aisle and then the recessional (??).

    I'm walking down to the Vitamin String Quartet's version of "El Scorcho", which is my fiancé's favorite Weezer song. Its going to be a total surprise... I hope! We'll figure out a recessional song together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Jennie! Once in a lifetime is a such a great choice! I might have to steal that one!!

    I hear you Brina, but no dancing?? No party? That's what our wedding is all about :) Our first dance is a surprise and it's really going to make people laugh I think! I spoke to the band about them playing it and they said they had just learned it the night before! Serendipity :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and ideas and comments are marvelous! Thank you.

Popular Posts